Home craft projects will show you how to take a faded old lamp and shade and using a a few cheap decorating ideas, transform it into a beautiful unique decor item.
I found this lamp and shade in a second hand charity shop. I fell in love with the shape of the base and circular shade and promptly bought it for approx $12.00.
I sat it in my daughters bedroom and looked at it over the course of a few weeks, as I was not sure how to decorate it.
In the meantime I decorated her bookcase and bought the tree clock.
Light Bulb Moment! - Why not use the colours in the contact and paint the base green? Hurray I finally had my home decorating lamp idea!
I had previously covered the old Ikea Bookshelf in this flower contact paper I found in a local hardware store.
I was browsing the Sold Smart Online shop and found this delightful tree photo clock in lovely bright green.
The following information outlines the home craft projects materials and procedure.
1. I began by cleaning any grease and grime from the lamp and shade.
2. Then I gave the base a light sand with the sandpaper. This allows the gloss paint to adhere to the base.
3. I began the exciting stage of painting the lamp base. I gave it two coats.
1. Painting The Shade: I painted the shade with Jo Sonja silver paint. It did not look opaque enough so I had some outside spray paint gloss in silver and decided to use it. The experts would probably groan...'Oh No!'...but it actually came up very well.
2. Lining The Shade: I noticed in home decorating stores, black or silver lampshades all had a silver lined interior, probably so the light will reflect better. So I cut up some ordinary tin foil (the sort you buy in supermarkets), cut it into strips, and then into squares. I glued it onto the interior with PVA glue.
3. Painting The Paint Stirrers: I then removed the sticker on the back of the wooden paint stirrers. I used a wire sponge with turpentine. The sticker came off really well.
I then painted the wooden stirrers with the white paint. I liked the washed out effect, so only painted them once.
4. Sticking On The Paint Stirrers:Next I placed a dob of glue onto the two ends of the paint stirrer. The side with the logo. I then placed the stirrer against the lamp shade surface and pressed. Then it was just a matter of glueing on all the stirrers, leaving a small gap between each one.
5. A Bit Of Bling & Sparkle! - Glue on the craft mirror glass pieces. I decided on a row going around the top and the bottom. I then decided to add a third piece in zig zag fashion around the middle.
6. Finished: And there you have it - a funky and modern lamp & shade suitable for a girls bedroom. A fun and quirky home decorating lamp idea.
So what do you think about this home craft projects, lamp decorating idea? Leave me a comment I would love to get some feedback!